K-12 National Associations Network for Sustainability
The K-12 National Associations Network for Sustainability (K-12 NANS) is committed to advancing sustainability among their constituencies and in the formal K-12 education system itself. The leadership of K-12 national associations is critical to help our economy become sustainable; to have strong thriving and secure communities; and to provide economic opportunities for the broadest number of people while preserving the life support system on which all current and future generations depend.
This network of associations is multidisciplinary and includes educator and administrator associations. Every academic area/discipline has a unique and important role to play in educating our students for a sustainable future.
The U.S. Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development launched the K-12 National Associations Network for Sustainability (K-12 NANS) in 2011 in response to a growing demand for communication and support that further sustainability initiatives across the nation. K-12 NANS is committed to advancing sustainability among association constituencies and in the formal K-12 education system itself.
K-12 NANS members support one another in advancing sustainability by:
- Promoting and enhancing each others’ sustainability efforts;
- Sharing and exchanging information, knowledge, and programming and funding opportunities;
- Building the capacity of national associations to make sustainability a goal of their programming and practices;
- Integrating sustainability into associations’ professional development programs;
- Connecting national associations to the best expertise, resources, and information in sustainability for K-12;
- Producing publications on trends in sustainability in K-12, including K-12 NANS efforts;
- Providing information about what is happening at the federal level that has an impact on K-12 sustainability education; and
- Engaging in joint projects, and in projects with other associations and organizations that advance sustainability.
- American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
- American Association of Community Colleges
- American Association of School Administrators
- American Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
- American Society for Engineering Education
- Association for Career and Technical Education
- Campaign for Environmental Literacy
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- National Association of Independent Schools
- National Council for Social Studies
- National Science Teachers Association
- National Association of State Directors of Career Technical Education Consortium
- North American Association for Environmental Educators
- U.S. Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development
For more information about joining K-12 NANS, please contact Jen Cirillo, Co-Chair, K-12 & Teacher Education Sector Team, US Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development.